Low vs High Headboard Bed – Which one should you get?
Comfort is key when talking about beds. After the daily toll one takes on the body, beds offer a space of comfort and rest. Therefore, they must be effective in every way. Moreover, when it comes to choosing a bed, one of the decisions you’ll have to make is whether to opt for a low headboard or a high headboard bed. While both options have their own unique aesthetic appeal, they also come with distinct advantages and considerations.
We will do a detailed comparison between a low and high headboard bed to help users make an informed decision.
High Headboard Bed
A bed with a high bed rail can be intriguing for all the right reasons. However, it is important to know both the pros and cons before making a decision. Let’s go through the advantages and disadvantages of beds with tall bed rails.
Pros of High Headboard Beds
Listed below are some of the major pros of tall headrail beds:
- Statement symbol – These beds are not ordinary by any means. Their enormous size, unique design and material all spell luxury. Using beds with a towering bedpost gives the bedroom a luxurious look.
- Comfort and support – Besides being a luxury symbol, these also offer comfort. The high bedpost provides more space and support to the head, neck and shoulders when sitting. Additionally, you can enjoy watching TV or book reading with a lot more comfort.
- Coziness – Combined with the right bedding and mattress, these offer a great level of coziness. Moreover, the high bedpost contributes to an added sense of security and warmth.
- Versatility – The advantages don’t just stop at comfort. High headrail beds are available in different styles and designs. This allows buyers to choose a bed as per their requirements and current decor.
- Sound insulation and privacy – Another reason to consider high bedpost is sound insulation and privacy. The high head rail contributes to better privacy, particularly for shared rooms. Moreover, the tall head rails absorb sounds – keeping unwanted noise away.
Cons of High Headboard Beds
Besides the many pros, there are some cons of taller head rails you should know. The cons are listed are follows:
- Space requirements – If you look at the headboard sizes chart, you can notice these are pretty high. This can become a problem, particularly for rooms with low ceilings. Additionally, these aren’t suitable for smaller rooms as the area may look crowded.
- Expensive – Luxury comes at a cost and these precious pieces of furniture are not light on the pocket. For people with limited budgets, affording them can be a problem.
- Limits decoration – Unless you have a grand room, these can become a problem. As they occupy a lot of space in the room, it can become hard to accommodate some other items or decorate the place as per your liking.
Low Headboard Bed
Beds with low bedposts are also a viable option for some people. Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages to have a better understanding.
Pros of Low Headboard Beds
The prominent pros of beds with low headrails are as follows:
- Space-saving – The king size headboard height and the height of other types may be too much for a small room. However, low headrails beds can easily fit in smaller spaces. People living in small apartments or houses can opt for these types without worrying about space.
- Money-saving – These are comparatively cheaper than their larger counterparts. Consequently, they remain a popular choice for people looking for budget-friendly options.
- Versatility – These are also available in different designs and styles. At a relatively lower rate, you can find a bed matching the house’s decor.
Cons of Low Headboard Beds
Let’s now take a look at the disadvantages of beds with low headboards.
- Lack of back support – The queen size headboard dimensions (in cm) or in any measuring unit may seem like a lot to some people. However, with its larger dimensions, a high headboard bed provides greater comfort. Conversely, low headrail beds do not provide any sort of back support.
- Limited appeal – These serve their purpose right, however, there is one area where they fall short. Unlike beds with tall bed rails, these fail to make a statement. These do not hold a commanding or appealing presence in a room.
- No or little storage options – Beds with tall headrails often come with storage options. However, smaller ones don’t usually have this facility. Even if they do, the space is limited.
This brings us to the end of our comparison between a low and high headboard bed. Both types come with their unique set of advantages and disadvantages. It all comes down to the buyers’ budget and preferences.
If you are wondering how high should headboard be above mattress, well this varies depending on the bed type. Choose the bed as per your liking and enjoy the perks that follow.
Stay tuned for comparisons between different bed types and so much more.
The headboard size can make a major difference. Check out our comparison between a low vs high headboard bed to make an informed decision.